Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Whipped up...

So I've been sewing long enough now to have the skills and speed to 'whip something up'. It's great to actually be able to sew something in less than an hour, albeit basic. I have two items I made for gifts to share:
The first is a simple skirt made gorgeous with one of my favourite fabric lines - It's a Hoot by MoMo. I based it on the Lazy Days Skirt free pattern by Oliver + S, but did a basic hem it instead of using a ribbon. It's for a friend of my son's 5th birthday - Mum requested no presents but mentioned that handmade is good. I hope she likes it!
For a size 5 I used a 16" width-of-fabric strip and a 20" length of elastic.

The second gift is a portable change mat for a friend who just had her second baby. This one took a bit longer, but probably still under 2 hours.
I no longer have the pattern for it (it was either out of a Lotta Jansdotter or Amy Butler book), but it's simple so I just measured mine. I used some Denyse Schmidt County Fair home dec weight for the outside and some Denyse Schmidt Spotlight/JoAnn's Fabric for the inside. Don't they coordinate well?


I did some basic diagonal quilting following the pattern of the fabric. Have I mentioned yet that I LOVE my new walking foot?!! It made the quilting super easy and quick.
So I've made heaps of things that I haven't blogged about yet. I'll try to catch up! Overdue and upcoming blog posts include:
  • The flower girl bubble dress
  • Castle Peeps placemats
  • Lego Birthday Party
Wishing everyone a Happy Easter, Pesach, etc. Don't eat too much chocolate!

2 comments:

  1. The skirt is just adorable. It looks like a twirl skirt which all little girls just feel pretty in:) great job on your projects. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be school holidays! It's great to be getting some uninterrupted sewing time and both items look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails