Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Helena for Miriam

A few years ago I knit Helena, a free pattern from knitty, for a friend's newborn. It was one of those rare moments where pattern, yarn and colour all came together to create a perfect garment. It is still my favourite handmade project. This is my attempt at recreating it. I do love it, but just not quite as much as the first.


The main yarn is merino silk DK and was purchased from Camelot Yarns in Australia. They often have a stall at the Bus Depot Markets in Canberra. I love that their yarn is grown, produced, spun and dyed in Australia. The merino silk is soft and shiny and has a beautiful drape. They don't have a website but are happy to sell via email: camelotmc (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au. The contrast yarn is plain old 100% wool Cleckheaton Country 8ply (DK).


I knit the 12 month size. The main modification is that I used contrast yarn for all the edges and hems, and knit 8 rows garter stitch instead of picot. I also lengthened the sleeves a bit. And used buttons instead of ties for closure. Here's my beautiful girl modelling her new jumper:



And here is the first one I knit (3 month size):


These projects are on ravelry here and here.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely wee cardigan. I love it! Especially the contrasting edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cardigan you have been knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't knit, so I have absolutely no idea what any of the changes you made to the original pattern mean. I can, however, recognize a gorgeous cardi when I see one! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails